Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Safari Day


a sitatunga - by the swimming pool!


The safari ride

I went on a safari yesterday at a lodge and there were roads and the safari truck had no seatbelts! I almost standed up the whole time! We saw these animals: waterbuck, impala, tsessebe, puku, sitatunga, python, birds, squirrels, baby chicks, deer, bugs, beetles and
butterflies, dragonflies, lions and an elephant.
I am going to tell you something about the daddy lion. the daddy lion was alseep and we couldn't
see the daddy lion sleeping.
It was in this little cage in a little house in a fence and the mommy lions were in an enclosure and we could see them but they didn't roar. Sometimes the male lion was awake but when we were not there.



We fed the elephant; we fed her some fruit. It sucked the fruit like breathing in her nose to hold the fruit and then it lifted up her trunk and put it in her mouth. Everybody in our family fed her.
The elephant wasn't in a cage. it was walking on a trail with us; it didn't knock over any trees. She was all muddy; a guy that we didn't know touched it and his thumb and his arm got muddy! She was so muddy. She feels like dried grass.

The tsessebe

5 comments:

Teacher Gloria said...

That is the coolest thing ever - imagine that, walking along a trail with an elephant. I liked seeing the pictures with the animals on the grassy savannah. Your adventure is already beginning. I am going to tell your old preschool friends about what you are doing in Africa, OK.
Teacher Gloria

nana said...

Qwen-Feeding an elephant? How absurd! I've never even fed a bird! You are the first 5 yr old that I know that ahs actually fed an elephant and walked on a trail along side of it! Did Finn feed the elephant too? I am so glad you are having such an amazing aventure and I really love your blog! Keep up the good work, your pictures are amazing, are you still taking movies with your camera? I just got one for Kyla but she hasn't seen it yet. So, don't tell her about it, okay?
I love you!
Nana

Kalei from Sanislo said...

Hi Owen,
I like you pictures. I wish I could see the animals. My favorite animal is a lion. What is it like there today? Today is half rainy half cloudy. It snowed today! We miss you Owen!
your friend,
Kalei

TimeWellSaved said...

NO WAY! You saw an elephant and lions! That is super neat. I have never seen an elephant up close. Lucky.

Kim said...

Hi Owen,

Your blog is terrific and the photos look really amazing. I especially like the lions and elephant. What has been your favorite bug or animal so far?

Kim